Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Came Early

And I'm back!  So this is what I did last weekend...

That's right... she's a drag queen... and we were eating brunch.  AMAZING.

And now that I've spent most of my week recovering from a weekend filled with Bridal showers and Bachelorette parties, it's about time for a new post!

A few weeks ago I got an order for a kid friendly Easter cake.  The client was having an Easter egg hunt for her daughter and some of her friends.  I tossed around the idea of doing a bunny shaped cake, or attempting to carve out an Easter Egg shape, but since I was going to have to do the work on a week night, I decided to go for a simpler double layer 9in round that had a bunny in a basket filled with Easter eggs.  This is the cake that I got my idea from:

It was a cake that was on the Wilton website.  I decided to pipe the center rabbit instead of use a color flow icing technique (technique that creates those crunchy candy pieces that we all loved as kids... or at least that I always loved so much as a kid that my bother and I would come to blows over who got the biggest piece), partly because I've never done it before and didn't want to screw up a cake I was being paid to do, and partly because I was just lazy.  So here's what mine ended up looking like:

And a little brighter:


 I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  I wish the paws were a little different, I wasn't super happy with the color of the basket, and I couldn't get the grass to work around the eggs because of the frosting I was using, but the client seemed to love it.  I will say that cream cheese icing is MUCH harder to decorate with than buttercream, so given that I think it came out rockin!

Happy Early Easter!

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap. 1 - Drag queens are awesome and I love your shirt.

    2 - You weren't HAPPY with that cake!?! It's adorable! Way better than the one that inspired you - which almost gave me a sweet tooth and made me groan just looking at it. That cake is amazing, hands down.

    (Oh PS dollface - you've been mentioned in print on my blog in this post: http://paintandsoul.blogspot.com/2010/03/fd-ftnss-now-with-less-vowels.html and given a nickname. :D Wub.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always being my cheerleader :-) I have two more cake orders in the next two weeks, so there will be plenty more noms coming.

    And hooray for being talked about elsewhere! :-) I'm glad I made it into your blog-o-sphere.

    Hugs and whatnot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Dying to know how you did the basket weave look. Love love love it!

    Your cake making business is really picking up!! I might have you make a Transformers cake for Ben sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete