Thursday, April 8, 2010

Full Sheet Cake Adventure: Part 1

So, about 2 weeks ago I got my first full sheet cake order.  One of C's co-workers is organizing a birthday party for her mother's 80th birthday, which means this cake is kind of a big deal.  Other than being totally excited, I was mostly nervous.  I'd never done a cake of that size before, so not only did I have no clue how much batter I was going to have to make, I didn't even have a pan that could make a cake that large.  What's that mean?  A trip to my favorite store ever, Cake Art! (http://cakeart.com/store/default.asp)  (side note for my fellow bakers - if you don't have a specialty baking store that you use, it's totally worth the effort to find one!)  Now I know the site doesn't look like much (And if I'm being honest, neither does the outside of the store - for my fellow Northern VA-ers, it reminds me of a sketchy, hole in the wall place somewhere along Rt. 1), but if you can get past the feeling of "dear lord I might die if I get out of the car" it's totally worth it.

The inside of the store is kind of cramped, but down each aisle there are shelves upon shelves of anything and everything you could possibly want for baking or candy making.  I'm seriously like a kid with ADD off their meds in that store.  They have every possible color of gel coloring, petal glitter, and candy melt that you can think of.  They have cake boxes, candy boxes, molds, and especially cake pans.  In order to make the sheet cake, I needed a ginormous pan.  Any old 13 x 9 pan just wasn't going to cut the mustard.  That brings me to the new love of my life:  My Big Daddy cake pan.  It's a 12 x 18" anodize aluminum pan and NOTHING sticks to it.  I mean I took the cake out of the oven last night and about 5 minutes later plopped it out onto the cooling rack.  A bakers wet dream, right? 

It's a sexy pan and I <3 it.

Coming soon.... Part 2: Batter Battle

No comments:

Post a Comment