Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cupcake Sunday: Apple Pecan Cupcakes

So the book (and my title) are big fat lairs.  This week's "cupcake" (and I use that term loosely) is totally a muffin.  Not only does it use a muffin method for combining the ingredients, but it has no frosting! Not even a glaze over the top that's trying really really hard to constitute an icing.  Sad.

This week's "cupcake" is of the Apple Pecan persuasion.


The first, and most time consuming, step for this one was peeling, coring, and coarsely grating granny smith apples. Combine that with some self rising flour, pecans, cinnamon, milk, eggs, and melted butter and viola! Muffins... er.. cupcakes.



If you like pecans, these are the cupcakes for you.  The apple doesn't lend as much flavor as I expected from a granny smith, so it's more of a pecan cupcake that is kept moist by the use of grated apple.  The book recommended serving them with yogurt or whipped cream, but C and I opted to have them with apple butter.  The cinnamony sweetness was a really good complement to the mild nutty cake.

 
I could see maybe making a cinnamon whipped cream to serve with them, or maybe even a cinnamon butter... mmm... cinnamon butter... maybe I should get on that...

Hope everyone had a great Easter, and I'll be posting about my next cake adventure soon!

1 comment: