Friday, March 4, 2011

To Infinity - And Beyond!

Annnnnnnd, I'm back! I have no excuses other than 1) I'm lazy 2) I've been traveling a lot for work and 3) I'm trying not to be so fat so that = less baking.  
I honestly haven't been baking much because baking = baked yumminess = me eating baked yumminess = my pants don't fit = BAD.  Being gone several weeks at a time for work also makes it hard to bake anything.  Hotel rooms are not exactly well equipped in that respect.  While I was on my last work trip, however, one of C's co-workers placed an order for a Toy Story cake!  

Some of you may remember the Spongebob cake that I made last year for a 3 year old's birthday.  This cake is for the same little boy who is now turning 4!  It's awesome that I get the chance to help celebrate someone's birthday as they grow up.  :-)

As always this was a several day process.  Silly work tends to get in the way, so I have to make my cakes in stages.  I generally bake the cake after work/bootcamp on Wednesday and then decorate after work on Thursday.  I was a bit concerned since this was a rush order and I didn't have any time for a practice run, but I think all things considered, it came out well!

I made the bed frames from melted chocolate.  I drew the template on wax paper, piped over it with chocolate, and then let it dry while I spend hours on those tiny stars.  NEVER again, btw... I need to find a larger star cutter.  HOURS of my life that I'll never get back, people.

 

 I love the little army men flanking the bed!


I didn't have time to make the characters myself (and let's be honest, I'm not THAT talented - they would have looked like deformed rag dolls).  It's cool that the kid gets to keep the figures - everyone loves bonus presents!  That, and it was awesome running around the party store yelling, "I've got Woody!  I found Woody!"  Hilarity ensues as all the mom's in the store shuffle their small children away from the crazy woman.


She needed the cake to feed 30 people, so I made a dozen cupcakes to go along with the cake.  I know my favorite characters were the little aliens, how about you?



All that's missing is the claw. "Oooooohhhhhh.  The claw."


 Thanks for stopping by!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment