Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pancake Sunday

I'm not one who tends to be big on traditions, but C and I have started a few that I really enjoy.  In particular, every Sunday morning we have Pancake Sunday.  While C sorts through the paper (separating it into ads I like to look at, ads he likes to look at, coupons, and junk that nobody cares about) I whip up a batch of pancakes.  It's never the same pancake two weeks in a row, and the kind I make generally depends on A) my mood and B) how well stocked my pantry is.  I was feeling Springy this morning since little gnomes came and stole an hour of sleep from all of us last night, so I wanted to make something that reminded me that warmer weather is on its way.  Enter: Strawberry Pecan Pancakes.

A basic pancake recipe is pretty simple (and I swear one of these days C WILL learn how to make them so I can sit there sipping coffee and sifting through the paper as he covers the kitchen in flour - no worries, our dog Izzy is a great wet vac).  That's her waiting for me to drop the noms.


Anywho - a basic pancake recipe goes a little something like this:
Combine 1 cup of flour, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl.  Make a well in this mix and set aside.

Next, in a large measuring cup (because I hate making more dishes than I have to) combine 1 c buttermilk, 1 egg, and 2 tbsp oil (I use canola, but vegetable or whatever else you have on hand is fine).  Since I had strawberries and pecans on hand, I went ahead an chopped some of those up too.

I tossed the strawberries and the pecans in the flour mixture first, and then I added the buttermilk mixture.  Make sure you mix until just combined - over mixing = dog pancakes.  Pour the batter onto a hot greased griddle (I used about 1/4 c per pancake - this recipe should make 8 pancakes).

Wait until the tops look bubbly and a little bit dry and then flip.  Once you're done cleaning up all the batter that flew all over you, the counter, and the eagerly waiting wet vac, you should have something that looks like this:


And this:

Wait about 2-3 more minutes and the pancakes should be done!  Now if you're like me and just happen to have some leftover bourbon cream cheese icing laying around - you know... saved for a rainy day and whatnot - then feel free to apply liberally (hey, I said this was Pancake Sunday, not Health Nut Sunday).  I sliced up a banana to have on the side so that A) this picture wouldn't look like we were eating cake and icing for breakfast, and B) Because we keep getting friggin bananas in our farmers market baskets and I swear they're procreating on my counter.


Hmm... I think I may still have some of that icing laying around... have I mentioned my pants don't fit?


No comments:

Post a Comment