Friday, February 19, 2010

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!  Before I started posting baked yumminess, I thought it was only fair that I introduce myself.  My name is Suzanne, and I'm a twenty-something living and working in the Atlanta area.  Born and raised in northern Virginia, I've slowly migrated south over the last 5 years as both schools and jobs have required me to relocate.

I decided to start this blog for a couple of reasons.  First: I'll be the first to admit that I had a pretty crap-tastic year in 2009.  In the last twelve months I've lost my father, my grandmother, a great aunt, a close family friend, and even the family dog. But in spite of all of the bad, a lot of great things have happened too, and part of my New Years resolution was to stop focusing on the bad and focus more on what is good, great, and right in front of me.  Second: I bake constantly - I bake when I'm bored, I bake when friends need something, I bake to challenge myself - and since I bake so much, why not share it with others? Enter the Blog!

I've already started documenting a weekly cupcake journey on another social networking site that shall remain nameless... *cough* face *cough* book... but I've become increasingly unhappy with that site so I'd like to move the chronicles here.  I've started taking on small projects for money, so I'd like to use this as a way to track my progress on that front as well.

Now why the name "Baking for Pearls" you ask?  Good question.  Growing up I spent many of my afternoons at my grandmother's house.  Most of my memories from those years involve me sitting in the kitchen watching her cook for others - big family dinners that were always full of love and laughter, warm breakfasts on cold snowy days, cakes and pie for church social events, and there were always cookies in the cookie jar to be nabbed.  She's why I learned to love being in the kitchen, that food is a fantastic way to show that you care, and that sometimes it's the one thing that you can do for someone else that they would never do for themselves.  For all of those reasons I've dedicated this little adventure to my grandma Pearl and the memories I have of our time together.

 

So that's it!  I hope you enjoy, and hopefully we can all learn a little something along the way!

4 comments:

  1. Love your welcome post and love the inspiration behind your blog title! I can't wait to read more! I'm so thrilled you started this because I almost mentioned you starting a blog the other day but didn't get around to it. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh dang it - that seriously brought tears to my eyes. You inspire the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, Suzanne. Sorry to hear about the hard times, but I'm already enjoying your fresh baked awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne, I am very proud of you and the way you have delt with everything that has come your way in the last year. You make me proud to be your "older" but slightly less mature brother. It's really great to see you becoming the wonderful young woman and sister that you are. Grandma would be very proud and is smiling down on you.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete